Saturday, August 22, 2009
I just got back from Jimmy's Food Store. I had forgotten how much I love Jimmy's. As I walk in the door, I see beautiful fresh Texas okra and Texas-sized zucchini blossoms (both probably from the Spiceman next door). I quickly place them in my cart. Then I see Spumoni ice cream and realize I have to change my shopping plans for the day so I can buy some and go straight home before it melts - Spumoni trumps shopping any day! I fill my cart with Italian favorites only available in Dallas at Jimmy's like squid ink spaghetti, fresh spinach papardelle, artichoke sauce, porcini sauce, aged Italian balsamic, tuna packed in olive oil, and Italian Pinot Grigio. About halfway through shopping, I stop at the deli counter and order a meatball sandwich and by the time my shopping is finished my sandwich is ready. I grab the Spumoni from the freezer and check out. Being the good Italian girl that I am, I cannot wait until I get home to eat my meatball sandwich. At a stop light, I open the box to smell the tomato sauce and to see the beauty that is a well-made meatball sandwich. I take a big bite and slowly chew the perfectly crusted bread soaked with spaghetti sauce. I taste the sweetness of the peppers and the creaminess of the cheese. Then I taste the beautiful combination of beef, herbs, breadcrumbs, and garlic that is the Jimmy's meatball. I am in American Italian food heaven. I drive home drinking my San Pellegrino Aranciata patiently awaiting my next bite. After putting the Spumoni in the freezer, I finish my sandwich, one sweet, slow, savoring bite at a time. I sit back and tell myself I musn't wait so long to return to Jimmy's.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment